Job Description – 18 hrs per (£12.70 an hour) Opportunity for additional hours.
My Outdoor Classroom believe all children have a right to play in nature, even in the most urban area. We are a social enterprise, set up to encourage children to get out in to nature. Based in St Helens, Merseyside.
Forest school leader and training assessor.
We are looking for someone to join our small team to run forest school sessions with our local community and develop our forest school training program. We want someone who is organised, practical, efficient, flexible, self-motivated and enjoys working outside.
Good communication and empathy skills, and the ability to work well as part of a team, calmly, with energy and a sense of humour.
Part of the role will be working with a range of different children in the woods, delivering high quality, safe and fun forest school sessions. You will plan and deliver forest school sessions around Merseyside.
We require someone to develop the adult training side of our business. With support, you will develop forest school and other outdoor training programs and deliver the training to adults/plan training programmes for other practitioners.
You will have the opportunity to develop your own projects and ideas that will help the business grow.
You will work alongside our apprentice whilst in the woods and support the development of our Forest school apprentice.
Applicants for this post must have Forest school level 3 and be confident at leading Forest school sessions. At least 12-month experience delivering forest school, confident with tools and fire. Ideally, have a teaching qualification or be willing to complete level 3 PTLLS teaching course during employment. Be creative and passionate about Forest school and be able to design learning programmes for children and adults.
A good understanding of health and safety and its implications with regards to running an activity programme is essential.
Part of the role will be home working/part delivering Forest school sessions across Merseyside so a willingness to travel/access to a vehicle is a necessity.
Main Duties to include:
- Deliver a high quality, balanced, lively and imaginative programme of forest school opportunities appropriate for the age of the children present and which has a wide variety of inclusive activities catering for all abilities and interests.
- Develop Forest school learning materials and work with other forest school practitioners to run forest school training.
- Support apprentice on sessions
- Any other reasonable or appropriate duties commensurate with the post.
- With support, look for opportunities to develop own projects within the business to grow the business, this could be developing parent/toddler groups, applying for funding for projects you would like to run etc.
- Work outdoors in any weather and look after forest school equipment supplied.
This description is intended as a guide only to the main duties of your job and the principal terms of employment.
Rate of pay: £12.70 per hour/ 18 hours a week with the opportunity for more hours. 12-month contract. 7 weeks holiday entitlement, (which includes 3 weeks over Christmas close down.) Pension contributions.